Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Playing Dress-Up

I am at a point in my life where I need to re-evaluate... well... pretty much everything. Ten years of togetherness with my beloved, two babies and several career changes later, (the latest stint being that of a full-time mother) my wardrobe looks a little like Cinderella's.  If my closet were a metaphor for my life it would definitely scream "I'm a girl who puts everyone and everything ahead of myself." My goal is to put myself back on the list. I intend to step out more often feeling like myself.

It goes without saying that marriage and especially children can really cramp a gal's style. If you really, really love cashmere, are you going to wear it around your two-year-old boy? Probably not, unless you have a diverse collection of cashmere and one sweater splattered with mud or smeared with ketchup isn't a big deal to you. Sometimes, and I say this most begrudgingly, we must be practical. Still, I think I may be crossing the line into practicality so often nowadays that I've lost sight of that girl on the other side. The one who would never consider yoga pants an option unless, indeed, she was about to actually practice yoga. Hmmm... now what?

I remember playing dress-up as a little girl and knowing exactly who I wanted to be. I would twirl around in a fluffy skirt and my mother's heels, covered in jewellery and delight in the complete knowingness that I would one day be a ballerina, or fashion designer, or school teacher. It has been a really long time since I twirled around in delight and knew anything for certain.

It's time for me to play dress-up once again, use my imagination, see what inspires me and who I want to be. Right now I am not sure exactly who that is. Luckily, the world is my boutique and I have plenty of time to shop around.

No comments:

Post a Comment