Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Life Under Renovation - Part Two



Today in a rare quiet moment I managed to write a few paragraphs. With one child in school and the other, miraculously playing contently, I brewed fresh tea and consulted my favourite little gem called Your Home As A Sanctuary by Josephine Collins



It is a modest hardcover design book given to me by my thoughtful hubby as a Christmas gift. This volume is filled with stylish, almost minimalist but never austere interiors. Simple spaces flooded with light and filled with favourite objects. These are not the homes of Hollywood royalty or any other kind of royalty for that matter. Just real places of real people who assembled their living spaces with care and attention. Not just to the paint, flooring and furniture, but to the space within the space. Which, if you think about it, is just as important as all the stuff we put in our homes, though sadly it is usually given much less thought.

Does your space reflect who you are? Would a first-time guest walk in for the first time and immediately get a deeper feeling for who you are just by looking around? Some of us will gasp in horror at this concept, especially those of us living with small kids on a constant rotation of strewn toys, messy finger prints and inevitable disasters. But those are superficial wounds easily mended with toy bins, elbow grease and that most fleeting element, time. I am talking about the essence of our homes.

As Josephine puts it so eloquently:

“You and the people you live with are the most important elements of your home… Your home sanctuary is a place for your spirit to rest as well as your taste to be expressed…. It is the one place where you are completely free to express yourself, your hopes and dreams. It’s also a showcase for who you are, and where your guests can feel completely at ease and see the best you in your own environment… It should have an atmosphere that encourages the pursuit of heartfelt ambitions and desires”.

That’s a mighty tall order for your average suburban dwelling, yet I think it can be done. Homes, like their inhabitants, evolve over time. Our homes are a living, organic thing that grows and changes just as we do.

As I prepare to move my family into a new space, I will be giving this concept a lot of thought. Family life can be hectic and the best laid plans for our interiors can easily be railroaded from an insightful evolution to dashing to the local big-box retailer because company is coming and they probably won’t enjoy sitting on cardboard boxes full of mom’s books, even if they are draped in pashminas from Paris.

Despite the unavoidable busy-ness of our household, I will try to be true to staying on course with plans of remaining thoughtful in my acquisitions for the new place. A little openess never hurt anybody. Besides, kids love running around in big empty rooms. Frankly, as long as my girlfriends and I have a spot to sit and sip lattes or wine I think life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment