Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ready for Barefoot Bluejean Nights




As I have mentioned, I grew up in the country. I've known for a while that I would be 'going home' for a family reunion this July. At first I was a bit miffed at this forced holiday. We could have gone, you know, anywhere else for our summer vacation. But now, as the time draws near, I am getting more and more excited to show my children where I grew up. That would be a picturesque white farmhouse with green shutters on a rolling hill, a big red barn and, of course a treehouse. It was the real deal. We've just returned from an epic Californian theme park and Palm Springs adventure with our kids, so perhaps some grounding is in order.






My heart is bursting at the thought of spending time with my beloved grandparents, catching up and eating lots of good old-fashioned prairie suppers with aunts, uncles, cousins and brand new baby second cousins, but more than anything, I am looking forward to the stunningly beautiful landscape. Vivid blue skies streaked with pure white clouds and enormous blazing summer sun and best of all, the big, fat moon overhead after a sunset so breathtaking it could be set to a symphony. I can't wait to sip wine with my best friend and laugh until we cry while our husbands get to know each other and our kids play together. I am excited to get my shiny new city car full of country dust driving down dirt roads, singing country songs at the top of our lungs.


Maybe I have romanticized my farmgirl upbringing, but I don't give a damn. Isn't it a bit like focusing on the positive? I can retrace every good memory of my childhood down to the last detail. I climbed trees and picked wildflowers as a little girl, then spent summer Saturday nights at tailgate parties basking in the glow of a blazing bonfire, trying to stay out of trouble, but not doing a very good job. 

It was a good way to grow up. I may be a West Coast girl now, but those Prairie roots run deep and they will always be a part of me. Mostly the part that likes cowboy boots and sundresses; men who can fix anything; driving around, but going nowhere and most of all wide, open spaces and hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment