Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Damsel if I Don't


Source: favim.com via Charity on Pinterest


It's a damn good thing I believe in happy endings and spend much of my time gazing through rose colored glasses, because when it comes to technology, I am pretty much a damsel in distress. I seem to lack that aptitude for technology, learning at a snail's pace, and retaining the knowledge begrudgingly. Technology seems to be the nasty fire-breathing dragon in my tale.

Why, just yesterday evening my own mother showed me what she had learned on her mini-me Mac and now this morning, the sun is shining and the birds are chirping and I can't remember anything she said. And by the way, in what crazy universe does a gal's mom have more computer skills than her daughter?? Well, truth be told, my mother really is quite amazing. She can also whip up a prom dress in less than 48 hours. True story. Long story, but true.

I guess when you're a romantic, you long to stay in that magical world where we can lock ourselves away in our towers and write in gilt-edged journals with Pilot pens and there is always a happy endings and the princess is always swept away by her prince. But what if we need to be rescued from ourselves?? If I am to be a writer in this modern-day kingdom, I must embrace technology. We must blog. Such a disgusting sounding word, blog is. The way I see it, blogging and blogging well are laying the groundwork for other writerly projects. It's the new way of "putting it out there," as they say. I have had this little blog for quite a while, but it could be so much more. I don't know more what, but I look at other people's blogs who are crappy writers and because they clearly know how to manipulate the blogosphere, they still look amazing.

So rescue myself I must. I don't think there's a computer-savvy prince about to burst through my door, armed with a shiny new Mac laptop, proclaiming he will set up my tumblr account and lay out my blog entries in a graphically interesting way, and monetize my blogger account, and entice me to Tweet, and teach me how to write captions on photos in that Pinterest-y way. Nope. This damsel must seek out experts who will teach me in a way I can understand so I can rescue myself from my own technological dragon of demise.

I guess I will be adding dragon slayer to my list of skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment